Friday, March 17, 2023

Wednesday March 15 and Thursday March 14

 This has been an interesting trip for me in a number of ways. Because Santiago couldn’t make it this time,  there are just the 2 residents and myself; as a result, they have done many cases as a pair, and many with Dr Mabanza. In turn, I have done several solo, snd I have had the opportunity to work with Liberian residents. I’m searching for the next Dr. Gbozee with a mind like a sponge, technically adept, and eager to learn. I’m not naming any names at this point, but I think have identified someone who has that potential.

On Wednesday Adamah arrived with his friend Dr. John McGill who is a urologist in Georgia at the same hospital as Adamah. He came with Adamah for a week to check it out; he was astonished by the urology equipment being used (old) and was pleasantly surprised when he met Dr. Ayun Cassell, the main urologist at JFK. I have known Ayun for several years as he went thru the general surgery training program at JFK and then after he came back from urology fellowship training in Senegal. Not too many years ago, it was difficult if not impossible for graduates of the University of Liberia medical school to obtain specialty surgical training outside of Liberia. A few years ago, while still a surgical resident, Ayun decided to go to the West African College of Surgeons meeting where he presented 3 papers on original research he had done at JFK. The incoming President of the College, a urologist in Dakar Senegal, was so impressed that he offered him a training position in Dakar on the spot!

Thursday was our final day of operating on this trip. We did more hernias of various types, a mastectomy, an an incisional biopsy of a neck mass among others. They all did well.

Last night we had our farewell dinner on the rooftop terrace of the Murex. It was great fun, tho a bit embarrassing for me when Masmina asked each person at the table(there were 15) to say something nice about me. You might have thought it was my wake ! In any case the coomentsxwere kind and most appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment