Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Tuesday March 19/Wednesday March 20

    I have not been as faithful as I wanted to be about writing my blog on this trip, and for that I apologize. I'm going to blame the effects of aging and being very busy; I get to my room at night after dinner and I just want to sleep. The work in invigorating, and I enjoy it while I am doing it, but at the end of the day I am beat.
    Our days have been quite busy with surgery. We have been doing 8-13 cases every day, depending on the mix. That's not bad considering that we have 2 rooms available to work in, plus a third for endoscopy and patients who can have procedures done under local anesthesia or local with sedation. We also have to share the rooms with other services who have emergencies: Orthopedics has needed to use on of the general anesthesia rooms on occasion, and Urology needed it yesterday. The OT staff, led by Ama, has once again been outstanding in their willingness to work and ability to juggles cases.
     Wednesday we did 13 cases in a typical day which included a thyroid, 3 colostomy closures, a couple of breast masses, several hernias, an endoscopy, removal of a couple of large lipomas (back, axilla, head) and removal of a small nodule from the neck of a medical student. I'm fairly certain that the nodule is benign, but it looks odd and will be examined by a pathologist. We started at 9 AM and finished our day at 7pm. While we were working in the main OT, Dr. Cindy Basinski was working in the Maternity Hospital with the Ob/Gyn residents. In her short time here she has taught them how to perform hysteroscopy, among other things. She leaves tonight after a successful first trip, having made new friends and being bitten by the bug to return again.                                                                                                                                                                                                      
   

No comments:

Post a Comment