Sunday, March 4, 2018

6 days to go before departure, March 2018

    We will leave next Saturday, March 10, for another 2 week visit to JFK Hospital. I have almost completed packing supplies; I'm waiting for a few things to arrive this week such as a Padgett dermatome. For those who don't know, a Padgett dermatome is a powered device with a blade which is used to take very thin pieces of normal skin to be grafted onto another area of the patient's body where there is a burn, or an ulcer, or the like. I was informed recently that the dermatome at JFK isn't working properly, and they have a number of patients in need of skin grafting, so the only choice was to get another Padgett dermatome. Fortunately I was able to find one on eBay, and it is expected to arrive at my house this week.
     We will have a small team for this trip. I will be accompanied by Dr. Sandeep Sachidananda, a Chief Resident at Waterbury Hospital who came with us last September, and Dr. David Aughton, a PGY-3 surgical resident at Waterbury Hospital. Dr. Santiago Arruffat, my faithful colleague, friend, and usual team member on the March trips, is unable to come this time as he is about to have surgery for a complete rotator cuff tear. His presence will be greatly missed, but I know he will soon be back in the groove.
      Liberia has a new President since our last visit, and JFK Hospital has a new General Administrator and Deputy Administrator. I am excited to meet with them and talk about what we can do to help JFK advance into the future. And of course I am excited about seeing my Liberian friends again !                                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment