Monday, September 26, 2011

Sunday September 25

We arrived in Monrovia around 3 this afternoon after an uneventful flight. The US Ambassador to Liberia was on the plane, as was the. Minister for Agriculture who was quite a charming and funny woman. When we arrived we were taken in a van to the VIP lounge/ waiting area where I was able to have my first Club beer of this visit while waiting for our luggage to be delivered. I must say there is something very nice about special treatment that occurs when traveling here with Adamah ! Among the people meeting us was Dewalt ! Yes, he returned from his trip to the USA, and seems no worse for wear lol

We then drove to the bungalow, which is where Ly, Emily ( an ER doc from Maryland) and I will be staying. The young men who guard and take care of the house seemed happy to see me again; not much has changed, and the diesel generator is still loud... I am in the room closest to the generator, so I am going to try wearing my noise cancelling headphones to bed !

It sounds like there is a lot planned for us. Some interesting cases at JFK, and apparently Redemptionist Hospital also would like us to operate there. I have heard of Redemptionist, but I have no idea what the facility is like, so I guess we will go on a scouting expedition soon.

Tonight we had dinner at Saj; there were 14 of us who had the chance to renew old friendships and make some new ones. Janis Tupelsis is here with his wife Nicky till Weds; he and I had a great conversation at dinner. Mrs Howard and Will were there as well as several HEARTT volunteers, many of whom I had met at the HEARTT meeting in Worcester last summer. And of course Ben was there !

I'm tired, so I'm off to an early sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment