Sunday, March 7, 2010

A hint of things to come?

Yesterday evening I was in Waterbury looking for something to bring to President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf as a gift; alas I could find nothing suitable. Unfortunately for me, as I was getting out of my car, apparently my wallet slipped out of my pocket onto the street. I didn't know this until I had left the store and noticed that it was gone. I ran back in and looked all around the store, but I couldn't find it. I thought maybe I had left it at home, so I dashed home...but my wallet wasn't here.

Then I saw the message light blinking on my phone. I listened, and it was a woman in Waterbury who said that her husband had found my wallet, and I could come pick it up. I went over to their second floor apartment in what we might describe as not the nicest part of Waterbury, and I met her and her husband...and their 8 children ! He told me that he saw my wallet in the street, and quickly picked it up and put it in his pocket, looking around to see if anyone had seen him. Then he remembered a promise he had made to himself, that if he ever found a wallet and it had ID in it, he would get it back to the owner. He went home with my wallet (which had about $20 in it along with credit cards, my driver's license, and some medical IDs), and looked up my phone number on the Internet.

I thanked him for his kindness and his honesty, and I gave him a nice reward. I hope that his children learn the lesson that honesty pays. I know that through his actions, he has reaffirmed my belief that there are a lot of good souls in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment